Monday, November 13, 2017

My Last Week In Mammoth

Here are the photos I took the week before I hit the trail this year.

Heading up Westgard Pass on Highway 168 east of Big Pine, California in the White Mountains.

Ancient Bristlecone Pines are the oldest living things on earth.

Someone gets paid to drive this thing. How cool is that?

Horses near Big Pine, California in the Owens Valley. If you're ever in the area then I recommend eating at Copper Top BBQ. The combo plate is what I get every time.

Deep Springs Valley. If you've ever wondered what is north of Death Valley, this is it. On the far horizon is the Sierra Nevada Mountains. Deep Springs Valley is home to Deep Springs College, the smallest institution of higher learning in the United States, with fewer than 30 students. 

Fish Lake Valley, Nevada

The sun sets behind the White Mountains in eastern California.

A home in Fish Lake Valley.

Stretching my legs by hiking Panum Crater in the Mono Basin.

I might be taking the message of this sign a little too literally. That's Mono Lake in the background.

The view from my private, hot springs fed, tub at Benton Hot Springs. That's Montgomery and Boundary Peaks, part of the White Mountains. Boundary Peak is the tallest point in Nevada at 13,147 feet.

Pre trail conditioning for my feet, haha.

Benton Hot Springs, California

The White Mountains

Benton Hot Springs gets 5 stars from me. I really like this place. I've stayed here twice.

A rare snow free spot. 

Just traveling down life's highway.

Part of the Glass Mountains at the north end of the Owens Valley.

Long, cold winter.

Benton Crossing

Those are the Glass Mountains over there and they mark the far rim of the Long Valley Caldera, the sunken remains of a super volcano that last erupted 760,000 years ago. The caldera is 11 miles by 20 miles and is one of the largest calderas on Earth.  For more interesting info on the subject click here --> Wikipedia

Convict Lake in the Eastern Sierra. The ice was finally starting to recede in mid-March. 
My camera likes this area.

Mammoth Mountain with Banner and Ritter in the background. 
Lots of snow this year.

The Sierra rising above the Volcanic Tablelands north of Bishop, California.

My camp in the Alabama Hills near Lone Pine, California. 

Famous graffiti 

The Alabama Hills with the Sierra Nevada Mountains in the background.

A nice Sierra Wave at sunset.

I took this as a good omen for things to come.

Believe it or not, I was battling mosquitos here in the Alabama Hills in March.

Mount Whitney from my tent flap.

The Pacific Crest Trail actually weaves through those mountains over there. 

China Lake Naval Weapons Station in Ridgecrest, California hosted an airshow and the Blue Angels performed.

A swarm of Hornets.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Iva Bell Slideshow

Here's a slideshow of my latest backpacking adventure: https://vimeo.com/268469995