Saturday, November 4, 2017

Parker Lake Overnight

In late September 2015 I hiked out to Parker Lake for an overnight backpacking trip.


Quaking aspen.
Fall color was starting very nicely.
Mount Gibbs is the rounded peak on the left side of the photo. The summit marks the boundary between the Ansel Adams Wilderness and Yosemite National Park. 


Mono Lake

Entering the Ansel Adams Wilderness.

Mount Gibbs from the Parker Lake Trail.

The climb to the lake is a very easy grade.

The Parker Lake Trail is a 3.6 mile out and back and climbs a total of about 650 feet.

I've heard that there is good fishing in the lake as well as the creek.

A nice sized ponderosa pine.

The color will be better in a week or two.

Parker Lake

There looks to be good color up canyon.

I set up camp about 150 feet into the trees to avoid the wind.

I saw signs of bear in the area but I didn't run into a bear.

As the sun set the wind picked up considerably.

The above photo is a 10 second exposure taken well after sundown. The waves appear smooth because of the long exposure.

 This is a 30 second exposure with the only light coming from the gibbous moon.

 At some point during the night the wind calmed down. This pre-dawn shot was worth getting up for.

 I had the entire lake to myself.

Nice clear water.

Waiting on sunrise.

My view as I drank my morning coffee.

 Some nice early morning alpenglow.

The wind held off long enough for some nice reflection shots.

It got chilly during the night.

Not a bad view.


A little duck looking for breakfast.

 I think the colors might have gotten better overnight.


 Hiking back to the trailhead.
Dramatic views everywhere.
 Looking back up the road toward the trailhead.

The June Lake Loop.

The gibbous moon that lit up my long exposures last night.

Silver Lake.
Believe it or not, there's a house in those trees.

June Lake and Carson Peak.

Gull Lake.

The sun sets on June Lake.
Another shot of the June Lake sunset.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Iva Bell Slideshow

Here's a slideshow of my latest backpacking adventure: https://vimeo.com/268469995